Ready to Lose Your Glasses? Ten pointers for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest evolving fields of medication. Never ever prior to have so numerous clinical breakthroughs and new methods emerged in such a brief time period. LASIK surgical treatment, which utilizes an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, offers countless individuals the chance to minimize or eliminate their requirement for glasses or contacts .
Television and radio advertisements are filled with fantastic stories about LASIK surgery as the fast and painless way to correct vision, however stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than successful. Before you choose to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to help make sure that you will be happy with your outcomes?
The key to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an informed patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a nationwide survey by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a physician by getting recommendations from other physicians or from patients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Do not be fooled by fancy advertisements about a specific laser. Pick the medical professional, not the laser.
3. Choose a medical professional who has done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. What a physician doesn't understand can hurt you.
Ask for details on your doctor's LASIK eye surgical treatment issue rates. If your medical professional will not tell you, find another one.
Ask exactly what measures are taken to prevent infection. Firmly insist that your eye is completely sanitized, and insist official statement that the surgical instruments be sterilized before your eye laser surgery to eliminate the danger of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
Be careful of ads pushing "low expense" LASIK surgery. Discount surgery is as excellent as a discount rate parachute.
7. Anticipate to see extremely well after LASIK, but don't anticipate to see completely. Each client gets a slightly various outcome. The very best surgeon worldwide can't guarantee 20/20 vision. As with any eye laser surgery, results are as individual as each patient. Be careful of any medical professional who guarantees 20/20 vision.
8. If you click to read feel like you're getting a hard sell, you probably are. Go in other places. You're not buying a automobile; this is genuine LASIK eye surgery.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will most likely provide better vision than LASIK. Ask your physician about them and other recent advances.
10. While you investigate, don't forget the benefits: for many people, a lifetime of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has enhanced the eyesight of millions of people worldwide.